Director of Operations
We’re looking for an analytical and execution-focused Director of Operations with a passion for specialty coffee and/or CPG products to create and support our ambitious plans to scale the world’s first Specialty Instant Coffee company.
As the Director of Operations, you will have full ownership of scaling operations as Sudden Coffee grows from working with 5 to 50 roasters in the next 6 months. You will be the most senior operational leader, reporting directly to the CEO.
You'll oversee our production line & supply chain, managing a team of 5 and working with our state-of-the-art brewing technology. You will be responsible for a combination of reducing cost, increasing capacity, meeting customer SLAs & improving quality. You'll be able to implement tactical changes on a daily or weekly level (changing SOPs or team priorities) and strategic changes (changing the supply chain, sourcing new materials, moving facilities, or upgrading equipment).
You will also be the Lean operations / manufacturing champion, ensuring that our production line runs using best practices. You will leverage analytical and/or financial models to inform key business decisions and assist in developing future-looking strategy. You'll be responsible for creating your own metrics to measure operational performance.
Sudden Coffee was built on best-in-class operations and we are looking for someone to push the envelope even further!
This is the perfect role for a management consultant looking to transition into an operational role + the startup world.
- Create & implement strategy to reduce unit cost with an analytical, data driven approach
- Create & implement strategy to scale production as we scale our roasters from 5 to 50. Includes sourcing & managing complex machinery, expanding factory, changing the supply chain
- Implement & sustain Lean manufacturing principles
- Research new processes & manufacturing equipment
- Manage the Sudden Coffee production team - hold daily huddles, ensure product goes out the door, implement improvements
- Hire & scale your team as needed
- Manage the Sudden Coffee supply chain - manage vendors to ensure delivery & select new vendors
- Manage inventory, determine reorder points, manage the BOM
- Launch new products and help scale Sudden’s ‘Roaster Partnerships’ business unit
- Create operations analytics dashboards to display key metrics (throughput, SLA, quality)
- Find (or design & implement) software based tools to improve our production processes (ERP, Barcode scanning, etc)
- Assist CEO with P&L development and tracking
- Must be willing to roll up your sleeves and jump into our manufacturing processes + implement ways to improve them - the buck stops with you
About Sudden Coffee
At Sudden Coffee, we believe that a great cup of coffee can transform your day. Our mission is to make great coffee easier for everyone to experience in today’s busy world.
We created the world's first single origin instant coffee. It tastes like coffee made at a hipster cafe :-) Only possible by combining a deep expertise of coffee, chemical engineering, & industrial engineering.
Sudden Coffee was founded in San Francisco in 2015 by Kalle Freese, ranked 9th best barista in the world in 2015, & Josh Zloof, a McKinsey trained techie with a culinary obsession. Sudden Coffee has received accolades from customers & critics alike: New York Times, Food & Wine, CNBC, GQ. We were the 2nd food startup to be accepted into the Y Combinator accelerator program and we've raised over $4m in venture financing.
If you believe in meeting people at their level and are generally bullish on unicorns like our Head of Coffee, Umeko, you might be a good fit at Sudden. We’re looking for passionate team members to help democratize a new wave of coffee.
- 2-5 years experience in management consulting or operations consulting
- Very familiar with Lean - terms like kanbans, EOQ, JIT, takt time, cycle time vs throughput, sources of waste familiar, SLAs
- Very comfortable with data analysis - Excel, pivot tables, building financial models, breakeven analysis
- Loves specialty coffee!!
- Excited to work with clients & vendors - negotiation, influencing, developing joint strategies
- Loves managing front-line teams - you like being on a factory floor, working closely with a team, running huddles, helping solve problems
- Comfortable with strategic operations - where should future locations go, how do we structurally change a factory
- Past experience with cost reduction - you have a framework in-mind
- Past experience with combination of lean manufacturing, supply chain, or sourcing
- Craves ownership - wants to own or manage a business unit/ product line
- Works independently & abstractly - able to create your own work stream & roadmap. Resourceful, figure out what you need to do to get the job done
- Can hit a metric - comfortable taking on a metric/ KPI and hitting it
- Strong respect for the value of quality - you can implement cost reduction without reducing quality
- Excellent project management skills
Bonus (These are preferred but not required)
- Industrial engineering background
- Experience building dashboards
- Experience with analytics or BI platforms (Google Analytics, Mixpanel, Heap, Tableau, etc)
- Familiar with SQL
- Management experience - past experience managing a production team
- Free coffee!
- Free lunch
- Yearly budget for learning & development