Freeze Dryer Operations Associate
At Sudden Coffee, we believe that a great cup of coffee can transform your day. Our mission is to make world-class coffee accessible and affordable for all. In service of that mission, we created the world's first single-origin instant coffee. It tastes like coffee made at a hipster cafe--only possible by combining a deep expertise of coffee, chemical engineering, & industrial engineering.
We are seeking a Freeze Dryer Operations Associate to have full end-to-end ownership of one of our most critical manufacturing processes. Freeze drying is the key to lengthening the shelf life of our coffee without disturbing its delicate aromatic and flavor notes. This is paramount in ensuring the end consumer can fully appreciate the world-class coffee roasted by our partners.
In this role, your responsibilities will include operating our freeze dryers, analyzing output data, iterating on different “recipes”, and troubleshooting machine issues. You will be empowered to make changes to our current process to increase both efficiency and quality. You will also have a central role in researching and implementing scale-up options as we outgrow our current model.
You will report to the Director of Operations as a member of a fast-growing operations team. Much of your day-to-day will entail working independently, but you will participate in daily huddles, weekly team meetings, and fun office-wide happy hours and other events.
This is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic, versatile individual who is seeking a fast-paced startup environment and loves hitting ambitious goals!
- Operate a line of ~20 freeze dryers on a rigorous daily changeover schedule
- Experiment with freeze dryer “recipes” to maximize quality and minimize cycle time
- Troubleshoot issues with freeze dryers that produce errors or irregular results
- Analyze data to further evaluate recipes, troubleshoot, and make maintenance decisions
- Perform regular maintenance and repair on freeze dryers and vacuum pumps
- Identify and implement opportunities for continuous improvement
- Research alternative methods to dry coffee, as well as scale-up options
- Provide surge support to other production areas as needed
- Goal-orientation: You enjoy being evaluated against a goal and work tenaciously to hit it
- Technical acumen: You’re comfortable or eager to work with complex machinery
- Multitasking: You can seamlessly transition between tasks
- Data focus: You systematically track data, analyze it, and use results to make decisions
- Independence: You are self-motivated; you manage your day-to-day with little guidance
- Improvement mindset: You constantly ask “how can we make this better?”
- Organization: You keep priority and structure top-of-mind in planning your work week
- Sense of community: You happily jump in to support your team, no matter the situation
- Physical ability: You’re comfortable being on your feet often, lifting 40lb pumps, etc.
- Communication: You raise issues to others when you notice them
We offer a competitive compensation package based on experience including healthcare, on the job training, and of course a generous coffee benefit so that you can enjoy the luxuries of your hard work!
- Free lunch
- Healthcare Package: Medical, Vision, Dental, Life, Etc.
- Free Coffee!!!