Senior Product Manager - Roaster Partnerships
We’re looking for an analytical and execution-focused Senior Product Manager with a passion for specialty coffee and/or CPG products to scale our Roaster Partnerships business line.
In the last 6 months, Sudden Coffee has started a new Roaster Partnerships business-line, creating products for coffee roasters like Equator, Intelligentsia, Ritual, & Chromatic. As a Senior PM, you will have full ownership of running & scaling this new business unit, taking us from 5 to 50 roasters in the next 6 months.
You will shape everything from the packaging & product offerings to the on-boarding & operational processes to launch new coffee roasters on the Sudden platform.
You will leverage a combination of analytical models, customers insights, and design to scale this new business line. You will get to lead multiple initiatives across all functions of the organization and have end-to-end ownership of many of these projects. As the business line grows, you'll be able to build your own team - ideally within 6 months. Lastly, you will get to define the product management process for the greater Sudden Coffee org.
You will learn how to build and launch products with rapid iteration, how to build & scale a business line, how to leverage brand & design in building physical products, and everything you could ever dream of knowing about coffee!
This is the perfect role for a PM with 2-3 years of experience looking to transition into consumer CPG + the startup world.
- Launch new products and take ownership of Sudden’s ‘Roaster Partnerships’ business unit
- Analyze revenue and margin improvement opportunities to assess and prioritize initiatives with the highest impact
- Work with designers & manufacturers to design new product form factors
- Oversee and manage existing relationships, ranging from logistics providers to wholesale customers
- Responsible for figuring out how to acquire new roasters & hit the growth target
- Develop & manage process to acquire & onboard new roasters
- Help build & manage a team to expand the business unit
- Optimize the manufacturing process of current products and oversee the development of future products
- Ensure key business processes run smoothly by improving systems and tools
- Setup Sudden Coffee product management processes
- Source your own team of engineers, designers, contractors, vendors
About Sudden Coffee
At Sudden Coffee, we believe that a great cup of coffee can transform your day. Our mission is to make great coffee easier for everyone to experience in today’s busy world.
We created the world's first single origin instant coffee. It tastes like coffee made at a hipster cafe :-) Only possible by combining a deep expertise of coffee, chemical engineering, & industrial engineering.
Sudden Coffee was founded in San Francisco in 2015 by Kalle Freese, ranked 9th best barista in the world in 2015, & Josh Zloof, a McKinsey trained techie with a culinary obsession. Sudden Coffee has received accolades from customers & critics alike: New York Times, Food & Wine, CNBC, GQ. We were the 2nd food startup to be accepted into the Y Combinator accelerator program and we've raised over $4m in venture financing.
If you believe in meeting people at their level and are generally bullish on unicorns like our Head of Coffee, Umeko, you might be a good fit at Sudden. We’re looking for passionate team members to help democratize a new wave of coffee.
- 2-3 years experience in product management
- Very comfortable with data analysis - Excel, pivot tables, building financial models, breakeven analysis
- Loves specialty coffee!!
- Excited to work with clients & vendors - negotiation, influencing, developing joint strategies
- Loves talking to customers - enjoys meeting customers face to face, grabbing people off the street, watching how customers interact in-stores
- Service oriented mindset - enjoys delivering people something they love
- Requirements gathering - able to interview customers and understand needs
- Craves ownership - wants to own or manage a business unit/ product line
- Works independently & abstractly - able to create your own work stream & roadmap. Resourceful, figure out what you need to do to get the job done
- Can hit a metric - comfortable taking on a metric/ KPI and hitting it
- Strong respect for the value of brand and design and understanding their importance to the consumer
- Experience managing interdisciplinary teams to execute a project - working with designers, engineers, or other team members
- Demonstrated experience wearing multiple hats - can jump from working with engineers to closing a new deal
Bonus (These are preferred but not required)
- 2-3 years prior experience in management consulting (total 4-6 years work experience)
- Technical or engineering background
- Experience with web development or coding
- Experience managing technical products, web products, or apps
- Experience managing physical products, packaging, retail/ CPG lines
- Management experience - working with designers, engineers, or other team members
- Free coffee!
- Free lunch
- Yearly budget for learning & development